Team Leader - Production
Domino’s started back in 1960 as a single-store location in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Over the years, we expanded to three stores, and thus came the three dots on our logo. The original plan was to keep adding dots for every store, and at over 18,000 stores worldwide (6,300 in the U.S.) you can probably figure out why that original plan didn’t work.
You might be thinking, “Wow, how does Domino’s get food to 18,000 stores?” Well, that’s where you come in. We have 22 food supply and dough manufacturing centers in the U.S., and seven more across Canada, Hawaii and Alaska. They provide fresh dough, equipment and supplies to franchise and company-owned Domino’s stores in the U.S. and Canada. In 2019 alone, these centers made 720,000 deliveries.
Want to get in on the fun? We’d love to have you.
Summary: Manage and coordinate the activities of Production team members engaged in the production of pizza dough, and bread (SCA only). Effectively maximize production yield and minimize production waste. Monitor and manage all aspects of production operations in accordance with established company/industry standards and procedures. Train new team members in job duties to maintain consistency throughout the production process. Ensure team members are working safe at all times. Comfort level working in a diverse, fast past environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
(40%) Manage Production and Sanitation Area
- Develop production/operational goals based on actual and projected customer needs, and investigate any cause, and possible solutions to any problems reflected in the metrics
- Complete daily production statistical reports including, pounds per labor hour, over time, trays per hour, total trays, and total hours used, and manage weekly schedule
- Interface with vendors, and be responsible for collecting, recording, and reporting operational data
- Maintain safe and positive work environment in compliance with OSHA, company standards, local, state and federal requirements. As equipment is added or modified, review it is ergonomically suitable for all TMs and proper L.O.T.O procedures are outlined and implemented
- Ensure standardization of dough formula and make necessary changes when instructed by QC. Maintain a dough library for each single day of production and use it as reference for dough complains
- Order production supplies, flour and sanitation materials
- Monitor and verify that Solo Chain and production ingredients are correct. Remove spoiled dough from Solo Chain and receive production raw ingredients into the system
- Assist with the trouble shooting of dough issues that occur in the marketplace, and periodically visit stores to check quality of product
- Conduct required test bakes per period and enter them in the Portal
- Maintain cost controls and prepare budget for Director
- Continually inspect the production area to verify that everything is operating properly. Submit work orders to maintenance for repairs and/or modifications needed on the equipment or safety related
- Strategize and implement new ideas to improve manufacturing efficiency and at the same time watching out for the safety and wellbeing of the TMs
- Coordinate with other departments to achieve common goals and objectives
- Facilitate dough management classes for franchisees
(60%) Manage Production & Sanitation Team Members
- Assign job tasks according to production schedule
- Coach team members that are not meeting their performance goals, and reward team members for good performance, complete performance appraisals on team members.
- Follow progressive discipline according to guidelines with TMs not meeting expectations
- Facilitate a five minute team member meeting each day to keep the team member informed of safety precautions, performance, policies, etc.
- Recruit, interview, hire and train all new team members in various trainings, including safety, and minimize team member turnover
- Ensure safety procedures are being observed and safety test are being completed in a timely manner
- Responsible for dough safety, and dough quality - maintain dough certification
- Performs regular Gemba walks
- Attend Leadership & Development training sessions
- Perform other duties as assigned by Manager and/or Director
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in distribution, manufacturing, warehouse. For level 2, 3 & 4 facilities, some college plus equivalent work experience may be accepted. Preferably in the food, warehouse, manufacturing or retail industry – Bilingual a plus
- 3-5 years of production, manufacturing or retail experience, strong knowledge of bakery procedures and baking practices preferred
- 3-5 years of demonstrated supervisory experience
- Understanding of continuous improvement by utilizing Lean, Six Sigma, and Kaizen
- Working knowledge of AIB practices or certification a plus
- Proven ability to develop and lead team members in meeting goals and objectives
- Results-oriented with strong organizational and decision making skills
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Strong interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), and follow-through skills
- Ability to work a full-time/flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Proven experience in quality and safety
- Willingness to support a 24 hour operation, be on call, including carrying an emergency cell phone as needed
- Must successfully pass a background checks every third year on your anniversary date
- Availability to travel, as needed
- Must be able to stand/walk for up to 10-12 hours
- Walking in/ around the warehouse with great frequency; many facilities are over a quarter mile in length
- Able to access all areas of building (ascending and descending ladders, stairs, gangways safely and without limitation)
- Regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
- Lift and move totes up to 49 pounds each
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures [33-38 degrees], and in environments with exposure to loud machinery.