Product R&D Lead
Domino’s Pizza, which began in 1960 as a single store location in Ypsilanti, MI, has had a lot to celebrate lately: we’re a reshaped, reenergized brand of honesty, transparency and accountability – not to mention, great food! In the rise to becoming a true technology leader, the brand is now consistently one of the top five companies in online transactions and 65% of our sales in the U.S. are taken through digital channels. The brand continues to ‘deliver the dream’ to local business owners, 90% of which started as delivery drivers and pizza makers in our stores. That’s just the tip of the iceberg…or as we might say, one “slice” of the pie! If this sounds like a brand you’d like to be a part of, consider joining our team!
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Food Science or related field
- Minimum 7 years R&D or related experience, preferably in the QSR or restaurant industry
- Minimum 3 years cross functional leadership and/or project management experience
- Knowledge of food production and restaurant equipment & services
- Knowledge of food safety standards (HAACP, Serve Safe, etc.)
- Basic computer skills: Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook, etc.
- Good written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to lift heavy objects, stand for 12 hours and eat all menu items
- Travel required up to 75%, including some weekend travel (rare, but required). Most of the travel is for 1-2 weeks at a time, approximately 3-6 trips like that per year
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced kitchen environment, manage and follow set time/bake schedules
- Assertive, proactive, organized, flexible
- Adaptability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while being detail oriented and meeting aggressive timelines for completion
- Independent analytical and creative effort regarding proper procedures, planning of work, troubleshooting and follow-up
- Demonstrated ability to translate business objectives into strategic and tactical project goals and objectives
- Ability to derive actionable insights from data
- Proven ability to lead, collaborate and problem solve with cross-functional teams
- Identify organizational "opportunities” and recommend solutions for improvements
- Visionary employees foresee what needs to be done and take initiative to complete
- Take ownership for actions, behaviors and contributions
Additional Information(75%) Lead the product development for new and/or existing menu items
- Manage multiple projects concurrently and prioritize between a variety of business initiatives
- Provide product and operational expertise to ideation, planning, training, commercialization and activation of new menu product innovations and/or existing product renovations.
- Develop and author product specifications, product standards and operational procedures for new products and/or product improvements.
- Lead product making for cross functional evaluations, shelf life testing, in house sensory panels, external focus group, guidance or CLT testing.
- Support Procurement and QA project initiatives by providing product expertise required for documentation of the physical, operational and sensory characteristics of the consumer tested Gold Standard product.
(15%) Development in support of individual and organizational goals and strategies
- Take on additional special projects to help develop new skills, problem solve critical situations, develop processes, build efficiencies and/or find ways to make the organization and cross functional working relationships stronger.
- Mentor, coach and influence junior team members. Delegate and oversee aspects of projects as appropriate for experience level.
(10%) Support all other product and test kitchen related responsibilities
- Make products for executive events (meetings, lunches, special events), Board of Directors, investor meetings, DMI, PR events, etc.
- Present product builds to the DLT, MLT, franchise advisory councils, etc.
- Support advertising shoots by making product and providing product knowledge for both live action and print shoots.
- Support/backup for test kitchen responsibilities including, but not limited to, SCC orders, supply & equipment replenishment, cleaning, calendar scheduling, oven & equipment testing, etc.
- Participate/help plan ideation sessions, food tours, trend tours to help build the product pipeline of new product ideas.
- Support cross-functional teams, such as: Procurement, Ops Innovation, Training, Advertising, and QA, when projects impact food